Wednesday, 12 March 2014

DIY Handpainted Eyes

Hi Everyone, I have decided that I would start sharing with you all some of the techniques I use in my bear making.  Sharing is caring right:)
I have decided as I am making my bears I would start taking photos of what I am doing and share them with you.  I don't claim to have invented any of these techniques because most of what I do I have learnt from books or online, but I always put my own tweaks on things, experiment and learn from the mistakes I make.  So by sharing with you, you can do the same thing, learn, experiment and put your tweaks on things, so here goes.  I'm starting with hand painted eyes, let me know if you have any further questions or if there is something else I can help you with.  Cheers!

Hand Painted Eyes


You will need -

  • Different coloured nail polish's including black
  • Forceps
  • Strong needle
  • Nail polish remover and cotton wool or ready to use wipes (I use these they are much easier)
  • Some clear glass eyes

 
 
 
Clamp the forceps onto the wire loop of the eye and paint the back of the eyes.
 I really like using black as my first colour but you can use whatever you like.
 
 
Wait for the paint to go a tacky but not dry! Then start scraping the paint off in strokes from the middle to the outside of the eye using the eye end of the needle.  If you wait for the paint to dry it will chip off in chunks and you won't have the nice little lines. 
 
 
 
Wait a little bit for it too dry a bit more and then add another coat, maybe a glitter colour if you like a sparkly eye!  Wait for it to go tacky and then start scraping again as with the first coat. 
 
 
Now you can continue adding colours as you please, just keep going until you are
happy with the ways your eyes look. 
 
I like to put colours on in this order - Black, Glitter and then a plain matching colour.
 
When you are happy with the colour clean up the front and sides of the eyes with the nail polish wipes, or nail polish remover and cotton wool.
 
If you mess it up don't worry just clean it off with nail polish remover and start again.
 
Hint: you will find when you paint over a previous layer it softens it up therefore you can blend in the colours and change it a bit if you aren't happy with the way it looks. 
 I also do the same to each eye at the same time other wise I end up with mismatched eyes.
 
I love blue eyes but your imagination is the limit, there are so many colours that you can buy other than pink and red.  Try brown, or green!
 

 
 
 Have fun!
 
 

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...